Now Accepting Applications!
Minneapolis, Minnesota Global STEM Program 2019-2020
We Share Solar® is joining Wells Fargo to bring a fully funded, global STEM program to classrooms in the Minneapolis area. The Solar Suitcase program blends engineering skills with sustainable energy curriculum and global service-learning and connection. Please read about the opportunity below and share with educators in your network who may be interested in participating.
About the Program
The We Share Solar® Suitcase program empowers middle school and high school students to build We Share Solar® Suitcases. The program places special emphasis on leveraging a hands-on and humanitarian approach to engage girls and youth traditionally under-represented in STEM fields.
By combining hands-on engineering education with real-world applicability, teachers cultivate students’ interests in clean energy and inspire them to meet an immediate societal need by delivering solar energy to community organizations and schools of need in the developing world.
We Share Solar® Suitcases are small, portable photovoltaic lighting systems, powerful enough to illuminate a classroom and charge devices such as mobile phones or tablets. Through this program, participating educators will be trained to teach youth how to build Solar Suitcases that will be delivered to energy-scarce regions of the world.
Benefits to participating in the We Share Solar® Global STEM Solar Suitcase Program:
– Training, Curriculum and Equipment: Teachers receive a two day professional development training in Minneapolis and $8,000+ worth of equipment and services to provide students with an engaging, flexible STEM program
– Global Impact: Students build We Share Solar® Suitcases that each eliminate 6.45 tons of CO2 per year from the atmosphere and provide light for students to study
– Solar Suitcase Deployment: Schools build two Solar Suitcases for international deployment to rural communities in East Africa who lack access to sustainable, reliable electricity
– Engagement: The hands-on and humanitarian approach attracts non-traditional STEM students
– Support: Trained Wells Fargo team members volunteer as Solar Educator assistants in the classroom during Solar Suitcase build sessions
– Professional Development: We Share Solar can provide a letter to document your participation in this training that may be used towards continuing education credits (requirements vary based on school districts).
The Wells Fargo Foundation — a national sponsor of We Care Solar and lead sponsor for Minneapolis Solar Suitcase Program in 2019-2020 school year
Teacher Training Workshop:
Dates: July 24 and 25 (8:30 am to 5:00 pm) – One teacher from selected schools must attend both training days
Location: Wells Fargo Tower, 550 4th St., Minneapolis MN 55415
Stipend and Meals: $200 stipend ($100 per day) and lunch will be provided.
Application deadline is April 21st, 2019
Questions? Contact Us:
Alli Pemerl, We Share Solar Program Assistant