Now Accepting Applications!
Charlotte, North Carolina Global STEM Program 2018-2019
We Share Solar is joining Wells Fargo, Jim and M.A. Rogers, and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to bring a fully funded, global STEM program to CMS classrooms. The Solar Suitcase program blends engineering skills with sustainable energy curriculum and global service-learning and connection.
Learn about the program:
The We Share Solar® Suitcase program empowers middle school and high school students to build We Share Solar® Suitcases. The program places special emphasis on leveraging a hands-on and humanitarian approach to engage girls and youth traditionally under-represented in STEM fields.
By combining hands-on engineering education with real-world applicability, teachers cultivate students’ interests in clean energy and inspire them to meet an immediate societal need by delivering solar energy to community organizations and schools of need in the developing world.
We Share Solar Suitcases are small, portable photovoltaic lighting systems, powerful enough to illuminate a classroom and charge devices such as mobile phones or tablets. Through this program, participating educators will be trained to teach youth how to build Solar Suitcases that will be delivered to energy-scarce regions of the world.
Benefits to participating in the We Share Solar Global STEM Solar Suitcase Program:
- Global Badge: Earn Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credits that will go toward gaining your global badge
- Training, Curriculum and Equipment: Teachers receive a two day professional development training in Charlotte and $8,000+ worth of equipment to provide students with an engaging, flexible STEM program
- Global Impact: Students build We Share Solar® Suitcases that each eliminate 6.45 tons of CO2 per year from the atmosphere and provide light for students to study
- Solar Suitcase Deployment: Schools build two Solar Suitcases for international deployment to rural communities in Kenya who lack access to sustainable, reliable electricity
- Engagement: The hands-on and humanitarian approach attracts non-traditional STEM students
- Support: Trained Wells Fargo team members volunteer as Solar Educator assistants in the classroom during Solar Suitcase build sessions
- Wells Fargo Foundation — a national sponsor of We Care Solar and lead sponsor for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Solar Suitcase Program in 2018-2019 school year
- Jim and M.A. Rogers – Jim is a former CEO of Duke Energy, author of Lighting the World: Transforming our energy future by bringing electricity to everyone, and a philanthropic citizen of Charlotte
Teacher Training Workshop:
- Dates: July 24 – 25, 2018 from 9am to 5pm – One teacher from selected schools must attend both training days
- Location: Wells Fargo Bank, NA | 12301 Vance Davis Drive | Charlotte, NC 28269
- Stipend and Meals: $200 stipend ($100 per day) will be provided to one teacher from each selected school. One additional teacher from each school selected will be able to attend the training, but an additional stipend is not available. Lunch will be provided to all trainees in attendance.